Did you know that you can sanitize kitchen sponges in various ways?
You can't always see or smell bacteria, so even if the sponge isn't stinky or slimy, it could still be a bacteria's hotbed.
But that doesn't mean you need to buy a new sponge every week, you can disinfect your sponge at home.
1. Microwave method
According to research, microwaves can kill 99.9% of bacteria in sponges.
Place a wet sponge in the microwave and heat it on high for one to two minutes on the microwave-safe plate.
Be careful though, make sure it doesn't contain metal or plastic parts and is thoroughly wet. Otherwise, it can catch fire!!! And your sponge will be hot so let it sit for 10-15 minutes before handle.
2. Bleach method
Probably this is the best and easy way to disinfect.
Mix 3/4 cup of bleach in one gallon of water and soak the sponge for five to ten minutes, then rinse.
In some studies, the bleach solution killed 99.9% of bacteria.
But personally, I can't stand the smell of bleach, so I rinse them until the smell is gone, and it irritates my skin.
The dishwasher also can kill 99.9% of germs in the heated dry setting.
The boiling method is also using heat to kill them.
Simple, but you need to let them sit until they get cool enough to touch.
Similar to bleach, all you have to do is soak your sponge in full-strength vinegar for five to ten minutes, then rinse.
This method can eliminate 99.6% of bacteria, they said.
You can wash your sponge in the washing machine with laundry detergent and bleach in the hot cycle.
6.Ohanacrat's favorite way to clean our ribbon scrubbies
Soak the scrubbie in vinegar for few hours and then wash it in the washing machine in a cold cycle. Then air dry. Do not use dryer becaues it sometimes doesn't dry all the way, and a swedish dishcloth is not meant to be use in a dryer.
This way, you can kill most germs but don't damage them with heat.
Smelling nice and fresh after wash with laundry detergent is a bonus, too!
Just remember, hang dry is the best way.
No matter how diligent you are, your kitchen sponge is going to get dirty again, and they won't last forever.
Choose what is best for you, and keep cleaning it regulary, and replace it often.